Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: OT - recordable CD's
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:15:50 -0800

Most if not all HDD have had a built in error correcting algorithim ....  If
there is an error in the data stream off the head, the drive can, to some
extent, repair the data so that it is correct.  A lot of errors and the data
is just plain corrupt.

The message on HDD is correct... they also are not archival.

A really crazy piece of data......  I have forgotten where I read or was
told about this.... Truly important software is archived using photographic
B+W paper.  the 1's and 0's are made into a negative, the negative is
printed onto paper, and the paper is then archival.....

To make your data archival, every year or so, make a new copy of the  data
using the most modern technology you can get...  And make several copies.
When it all comes tumbling down, your data will still be there.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net