Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 52 dlridings
From: robertmeier@usjet.net
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 20:10:01 -0600

Daniel,

I have had a Maxwell in my 3.5F for several years and I think it is the best
screen I've ever.   Not just in the Rollei, but any 2 1/4 camera.  Screens
for 35mm SLR's, like the Leica screens, are as bright and easy to focus as
the Maxwell is in a Rollei.   Mine focuses very decisively as well as being
very bright.  Ordering one involves a loooong phone conversation, but it is
worth it, I think.

Malick Sidebe's photographs are quite exceptional.   Thanks for sending the
link.   His studio portraits remind me of Irving Penn's Worlds in a Small
Room portraits.   Penn also used a Rollei.

Bob

Bob,
I have the 3.5E with the Xenotar. If I see any difference between it and
the Xenar? No, not really. Well, ... the Xenotar is sharp at all
aperatures. The Xenar does lovely things with faces at f5.6 and wider. But
usually I can't tell the difference between my negatives except for the
fact that the 'cord has a little "defect", or at least tell-tale stamp, on
the upper frameline.

I have a Maxwell screen in the 'cord. With the original screen it was like
looking down the shaft of a coal mine at midnight. The 3.5E has the same
screen (the original), but the 2.8 viewing lens helps enough that I
haven't bothered and I don't think I will. It's a give and take situation.
The brighter screen is, well, brighter, but it is more difficult to focus.
The ground glass screen snaps into focus and you see it easily. With the
fresnel screen it's a little more difficult. People say that the Maxwell
screen is better than most in this respect. I don't know. I like it.

I hear the later 'cords have screens that you don't have to worry about.
They're good the way they are. Mine is from 1954 or there-about.

I really like these old cameras. The day before yesterday I went to an
exhibit in Göteborg (Gothenburg) by Malick Sidibé. He won the Hasselblad
Award for 2003. He's been using the same camera since 1962, a Rolleiflex
E.

http://www.hasselbladfoundation.org/sidibe_samples.html

I'm fascinated by his pictures. They simply breathe Africa and he is such
a pleasant man.

He wouldn't let go of the Hasselblad he received when he was here. Slept
with it on his stomach. The 'flex might be threatened :)

Sorry about the off topic people.

Daniel