Subject: Re: SV: [Leica] Assistance on a Camera Bag
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 05:07:11 -0800

on 12/30/03 12:28 AM, Håkan Dennersten at hd@hd.pp.se wrote:

>> I have a large backpack from Lowepro and its not so good for
>> your need i think.I would use a large backpack and put the
>> camera etc in a small bag inside the backpack.
>

> That is exactly what i am doing today, and that always ends up with no
> pictures taken during walking. But only at campsite. I have also tried with
> one camera on the neck all the time, but that is irritating in the long run,
> so i just wondered if there were any nifty solutions out there. It seems
> that all photobackpacks are made for daytrippers and not for hikers like me.
>

> /HD

I find that unless the camera is actually in my hand I don't take any photos
while hiking.  The thouhgt of taking the backpack off and putting it on
again when it weighs 50 to 60 pounds makes it easy to conclude the photo
isn't worth the effort.  Besides, my hiking companions typically don't have
the patience to wait around while I futz with the camera.

In this situation I carry the 400mm Telyt and an SL loaded with K64 on an
across-the-chest strap with a quick-release buckle.  This way if a bear or
moose should make an appearance I'll be prepared.  The other equipment is
just for rest stops or for after we've set up camp.  Maybe a lightweight P&S
in a shirt pocket is the answer you're looking for.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com