Subject: Re: [Leica] Inspired but arrested
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:43:09 -0800

Even military bases aren't a too big a deal for photography. The areas where
it's prohibited are clearly marked. Defense plants are also clearly marked: no
photography.

A few years ago we were at the submarine base in San Diego taking a tour. I was
snapping away until we got down to the a pier where they were off-loading
weapons from the HOUSTON prior to her going into dry-dock for a short-term
refit. I asked Charlie who was running our little tour - it's okay to take
pictures (back in MY day it wasn't) and he said "Oh sure, shoot away."

Of course now only the missle submarines carry nuclear weapons so much of the
really high security has been pulled back. You still can't get out on the pier
and close to one of the boats but you can still get pretty close.

That was before 9/11, however.

Still, it was nice to feel free to take pictures on the base - it's a gorgeous
site at the entrance to San Diego's harbor.

AB