Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: B&W digital printer
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:14:39 -0800

lea said:

> What puzzles me is why the heck Epson doesn't come out with and all
> gray/black ink set for the 2200....the color cast this machine produces
> is pretty awful unless you want to output everything as a sepia
> tint...which works for some clients but not for all of them. I'll be
> seriously looking at the HP in the next few weeks.<<,

Hi Lea,
When we are printing B&W on the 2200 we always use the Enhanced or it's new
name "Archival Matte" paper. With the Matte Black ink as the main ink. So
far we've had very good looking B&W prints.

If you use the luster or glossy papers and Photo Black ink then they have a
sepia tinge to them.

>>why the heck Epson doesn't come out with an all gray/black ink set for the
2200....<<<

I've asked myself that a number of times, as one would think it can't be too
difficult for a company that produces such a high quality printer as the
2200. Or have a system where one can run all black inks for B&W printing and
switch over set for colour.

I understand the new Epson 4000 addresses this sepia effect, so we have one
on order, I believe delivery January or Feb.? If anyone of the crew have
used one or seen the results of a 4000 it would be interesting to hear their
re-actions to print look in B&W.

Given the excellent print quality from a 2200 I can't imagine what the
designers where thinking when considering B&W printing and not strive for a
top end look of an impeccable B&W rich print.  The colour print quality is
absolutely first class and it's a shame to be screwing around trying to
produce rich tonal B&W prints of equal caliber without ink fiddling.

ted

"DOCTOR'S WORK."  b&w book.
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant