Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Farm Tractors &SUV's
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 10:56:39 +0000

I have been deleting most posts for the last 5 days due to weight of
work so have probably missed key parts of the thread but:-
I learned to drive on an agricultural tractor at the age of 9. A couple
of years later children under 14 years old driving tractors was
banned:-(
  I learned to drive a Land Rover when I was 12 and had to look through
vents under the windscreen because I was so short. I learned how to
drive in difficult conditions without churning up the ground or getting
stuck. It would be good if such training were available for 4x4 users
who have no idea. I live near a 2000 year old Roman (unpaved) road
called The Ridgeway, up to a few years ago it was a great place for
walking, horseriding, mountainbiking etc. It is now unpassable in many
stretches due to incompetent/inconsiderate driving by cretins in SUVs.
These things weigh over 2 tons and when driven by rank amateurs churn
the whole road up. It is certainly too dangerous to risk a horse there
now because of the risk of a broken leg, and there is little pleasure
in walking it.
I got reasonably good at driving before I was 17 so passed my driving
test (17 in UK) straight away. Myself and 3 friends used to pay
"Landrover football" on the 100 acre field using a 6foot beachball. One
soon learns to stop by flicking the car sideways, brakes are useless in
slippery conditions. Up until hitting a rabbit hole whilst sliding
sideways and rolling over....
The Landrover gearbox is an old design which is not difficult to
master. Many of the vehicles I have driven do not have syncromesh and
it is only the really heavy trucks which have enough geartrain inertia
to need double de-clutching on upshifts, they all need double
de-clutching downshifts for mechanical longevity.
I have been involved with racing cars for years, they all have dog
boxes (even the F1 boxes with electronic control are dog boxes)
cheers
Frank