Subject: Re: [Leica] Software
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 15:42:55 -0500

RIP isn't a brand of software, a RIP is a particular kind of
application, like a word processor. Short for Raster Image Processor (I
think). They generally replace the print driver that comes with your
printer with something more powerful and (naturally) more complicated
and difficult to use. You can get RIPs for any platform. You have to
figure out if you need one and if you do, which one. You should
absolutely postively consult an expert as they are expensive and vary
enormously. You can waste a LOT of money buying the wrong one.

There is a bit of information here but bear in mind that FLAAR are
hardcore and always seem to suggest you buy the most expensive
solution:

	http://www.large-format-printers.org/ColorGateRIPlargeformatprinters/
RIPsfor_largeformatprinters.htm