Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG Gallery
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:22:00 -0600

Sam

I have seen the recommendation of LUGers to use filters many times,
especially for B&W film and also Polarizers etc.  If you use one No Biggy,
say so, if it works for you to get the effect you want, tell us.

Gene

                      sam <sam@osheaven.net>
                      Sent by:                            To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  Re: [Leica] LUG Gallery

                      11/24/2003 01:27 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

You LUGers frightened me into being less than forthright. I jump in my
seat every time someone writes "Don't put junk in front of Leica glass"
(meaning a $59 B&W double-coated glass filter). So intimidated was I
that I omitted the specs of the photo in question. Not from dishonesty,
but from fear. The truth is much worse than any UV filter in front of
Leica glass:

Camera: M6
Lens: 75mm CV

(Not too bad yet, but...)

Ilford Multigrade #4, pearl surface.

Kodak Diffusing Disc #1 (circa 1912) used over the El-Nikkor enlarging
lens).

Print was flatbed scanned to obtain an image for the net.

The #1 disc really only lowers contrast; starting with disc #2 real
diffusing begins to take place.

Sam S

Mark Rabiner wrote:
> Adam Bridge wrote:
>
>>On 2003-11-23 sam@osheaven.net (sam) thoughtfully wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.leica-gallery.net/-ss/image-56725.html
>>>

>>That gray area is in the image that is being presented by the gallery. If
you download just the image you'll see the gray area. So either it's
something you have included with the image by accident or it's something
that the software did when you uploaded it.

>>But you probably have figured that much out already. Wry smile.
>>
>>Adam
>>--
>

> Mush Mush! I say just a tad to much Mush!
> You need to UN sharp filter to make it sharp.
> Through no doubt the use of a double negative.
> Nice shot! You can still tell the women is gorgeous despite very much in
> the face hair.
> Would like to see individual strands more. I don't ask for much!
> But even at that size it seems soft and in need of some snap (contrast).
> Easily accommodated. Just ask your 10 year old kid for a quick lesson in
Photoshop!