Subject: [Leica] Frame #31 uneven
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:03:55 -0800 (PST)

Folks: Simon's drying marks on his negs reminded me of a mysterious
problem I had recently.  It happened on three successive rolls of color
neg film (1 of Supra 400, two of Reala 100), all shot in the same M6TTL,
and processed together at the same lab.

On each roll, on frame #31 and *only* frame #31, the right half
(approximately) of each print was significantly darker than the left half,
with a distinct boundary. The brighter half (left) looked correctly
exposed, the darker half (right) looked underexposed. The boundary between
the bright and dark areas was a vertical line, not exactly straight, but
nearly so.  All three defective frames were probably *not* taken at the
same shutter speed, which could have been anywhere between 1/60 and 1/500.
The unevenness appears on the negatives, too.

I suspected a shutter problem.  But when I talked to Sherry about it, she
said that she didn't see how such a thing could be related to a frame
number.  If all or most pictures taken at a particular shutter speed were
uneven, that would indicate a shutter problem.

Since then I've shot several rolls, and the problem has not recurred.
I've used both the lab where the three problem rolls were developed, and
another.  No more uneven frames.

I'm beginning to wonder if the processing is at fault. The only three
things in common are the camera, the lab, and the time of processing.

I can post a couple of jpegs this evening (they're on my PC at home).

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this?

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from RUBEN BLĘDEL <ruben@rhodos.dk> (Re: [Leica] another test)
Reply from "Tom Furlotte" <tfurlott@midsouth.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Frame #31 uneven)