Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 46: An unplanned trip to Denmark
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:57:57 +0100

In the week preceding week 46, my father in Copenhagen complained of
feeling weak and not being able to walk very far. He is 78 but is
normally very active, so something was clearly wrong. As the weekend
came, his condition worsened, and on the Sunday I drove to Copenhagen to

see what was going on. When I arrived Sunday afternoon, it was clear
that something was very wrong--he could barely stand up. I had him
hospitalized Sunday evening, and fortunately the good doctors at
Glostrup Amtssygehus outside Copenhagen were able to diagnose the
problem within 1 hour. Apparently, a new blood pressure drug he had been

prescribed had interacted with an existing medication to produce
dangerously high levels of some chemical in his body, in fact so high
that it would have killed him within a few days. As it was, they
immediately began treatment.

My sister from Poland arrived Monday morning, and we immediately went to

the hospital. Here is my father talking to my sister, still in bed but
already much better than the night before:
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_46.jpg

On Monday afternoon he was visibly better, now out of the bed:
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_46alt1.jpg

Tuesday morning, better still:
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_46alt2.jpg

He was finally discharged Wednesday afternoon, and that evening we had
dinner with our good friends Marek and Tamara. Here they are, showing my

father some dirty joke on the Internet. It was so good to be back to a
normal life!
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_46alt3.jpg

Finally, it has become something of a tradition that every time I go to
Copenhagen, I take a picture of the garbage burning plant in Avedøre
from my father's 12th floor balcony:
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_46alt4.jpg

All pictures taken with a Voigtlander Bessa R2 on Neopan 1600, the main
and first 3 alternates with a 35mm Summilux, the last alternate with the

90mm Apo Summicron.

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/indexpaw2003.htm
and comments/critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands