Subject: [Leica] Re: OT, Deutch in USA
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:50:23 -0800

In August, 1989 I boarded a tour bus at Checkpoint Charlie for a day in East
Berlin. The guide was a woman who taught English in an East Berlin High
School. She and I sat together at lunch and she said she was amazed at what
good German was spoken by American High School students she had met. I
explained that there still exist pockets of German language speakers and
their descendants in the mid-west, and Texas. Schools there have serious
German language offerings.

Bill Lawlor