Subject: [Leica] Martin is NOT going COMPLETELY digital
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:17:55 -0800

Ok, I've been getting these messages from distraught people around the
globe wondering if I've lost my marbles, or sold my soul (and if so,
could they perhaps buy just part of the package I'm selling... ;) so I
thought I'd let you all know that I haven't gone completely bonkers.

First of all, I already have gone partially digital. I discovered that
I needed a point & shoot partly for documentary purposes, to show
friends and family around the globe where I live and work, and partly
to take shots of stuff that I occasionally sell. So, I ended up getting
the Casio Exilim ZX-4U, mostly for its size, but also because it's
reasonably quick.

What I am selling is my R gear. I've discovered that it pretty much
never gets used. I was keeping it for macro and tele photography, which
just isn't happening. Meanwhile, as you probably know, Panasonic
announced the DMC-LC1 to be released this spring. This is the first
digital camera that I've become anything close to excited about. So, I
figured that I'd trade the gear I don't use for something that I know I
will -- shortcomings and all (and it will have shortcomings of some
kind).

As a side note: I thought that offering an R6, two justly famous R
lenses (60 macro & 90 'cron), motor winder, and a bunch of accessories
for $1,000 would see it sell quicker than the message got distributed
around the globe, but I was wrong. I guess it's a testament to how dead
this stuff is: the LUG appears flooded with "for sale" messages.

M.