Subject: [Leica] WAS: Kenya Safari NOW Leica & digi cam. :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 06:31:01 -0800

Mark Rabiner said:
> >I'm playing around with all kinds of things and i find out right off it
> >it's paying off or not. Bounce flash and my old pal Phil. Low shutter
> >speeds, wide open shooting with certain lenses the instant feedback
> >makes me want to try things and I end up getting more creative
pictures<<<<

Tina responded:
> Isn't it great!  It's so much fun, it's like starting photography all over
again!<

Hi folks,
Well it truly is quite adventuresome to say the least and yes Tina it's
starting photography all over. The best part despite lagtime and button
pushing confusion? One sees the results good, bad and ugly immediately and I
believe it makes it easier to learn much quicker. Rather than the olden days
of shooting, souping and contacting before we could see the good, bad and
ugly. Not to forget we some times got a really cool exposure. ;-)

I shoot all my grandson's basketball games, B&W Neopan 1600 @ 3200 in XTOL
using motor driven R8's good stopped action frames. So......

Last evening I went digi at ASA 400!! The metering didn't go any higher
:-(  It might have, but I couldn't figure it out. So it was "OK live with
it!" So I shot stopped action on some jumps, very nice blurred action as
they ran with the ball and for crying out loud..... "all in colour and
within seconds" I was looking at the good, not so good and without question
incredibly ugly!! :-) Very cool!

Focus lag! Aaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!! :-( Smash the machine, what idiot designed
this etc. as I lost frame after frame. But you can beat it quite easily.

You focus lock as they run down the court and keep it locked with your
finger slightly pressured on the shutter release, so when they jump it's
only your own re-action to the action that comes to play. And if you miss,
then it's your own fault at being slow on the trigger.

Sure I missed some at whatever the action, but quite frankly I had great fun
doing the "shoot and look" routine that I was as excited as I am watching
prints appearing in a wet tray.

But man I've got along way to go, so many buttons and thingies to set I'll
have to survive another 53 years as a photographer to get it right. ;-)

Great fun though. And having looked at the "Leica 2 digi-cam" for next year,
not to forget the R digital back, I'm keen about this electronic wonder of
photography. :-) Just like a kid in a new sand box.:-)
ted