Subject: [Leica] Proposed visit to Solms
From: Ian Watts <watts@firebomb.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:51:20 +0000

Frank Dernie wrote:

> How many people in a small town in the USA would you expect to speak
> German? Is it widely taught?

I would imagine there a few small towns in Pennsylvania where German is
fairly widely spoken but I'm not sure what the above point proves - English
speaking countries have always been a bit lazy about second languages. The
point about the lack of English language speakers at Solms is interesting. I
was in Berlin (hardly a small town) earlier this week and was surprised
(like I was when I was there before) how little English is spoken by those
in the general service industry. Even the person at the 'information point'
at Schonefeld Airport railway station spoke virtually no English. I am not
being critical - my own foreign language skills are hopeless - but I don't
think it is unfair to make these observations. In Copenhagen or Amsterdam it
is difficult to find anybody serving the public (or indeed anybody) who
doesn't speak English as good as my neighbours here in the UK.

Ian Watts.

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> ([Leica] Re: language skills (WAS: Proposed visit to Solms))