Subject: RE: [Leica] Photography permits
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:21:57 -0700

> The only place I have been hassled about taking pictures is in Taos
> Pueblo... they ask $25 for a permit.

which is, of course, basically private property.

> The "Lone Cypress" in Carmel
> is another
> instance that comes to mind. If I recall there is a gentle caveat not to
> take pictures for commercial use...that the tree indeed is copyrighted...

Actually it isn't, but they will try to tell you it is (or more probably
that it is a trademark). You can't copyright a tree in this sense (only an
image of a tree - or, of course, if you chopped it down and turned it into a
sculpture or installation piece...).

You can check the LUG archives on this one where it has been discussed ad
infinitum

Replies: Reply from "John Evensta" <jevensta@plateautel.net> (Re: [Leica] Photography permits)