Subject: RE: [Leica] XXX of the YYY? WAS (something else) (fwd)
From: "Kit McChesney" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:46:19 -0700

B.D. scolded, rather cynically, but probably justified, too:

"If we're remembering Dorothea Lange and Walker Evans, lets remember that
they were hired and paid by a propaganda machine as slick as anything
dreamed up by the BushWackies. Yes, they produced gorgeous work - but it
was NOT documentary photography or photojournalism is any sense that
those terms are commonly understood; it was public relations/government
propaganda photography commissioned specifically to help get New Deal
programs through Congress. God knows I'm glad they did it, but let's not
re-write the history of photography here."

==

Kit retorted, tongue-in-cheek:

Yea, but who cares, if the machine was run by Democrats! ;-)