Subject: RE: [Leica] XXX of the YYY? WAS (something else) (fwd)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:38:16 -0500

If we're remembering Dorothea Lange and Walker Evans, lets remember that
they were hired and paid by a propaganda machine as slick as anything
dreamed up by the BushWackies. Yes, they produced gorgeous work - but it
was NOT documentary photography or photojournalism is any sense that
those terms are commonly understood; it was public relations/government
propaganda photography commissioned specifically to help get New Deal
programs through Congress. God knows I'm glad they did it, but let's not
re-write the history of photography here.

And I would suggest that we do not hide the impoverished, jobless, or
bankrupt farmers until elections role around - I would suggest that no
one gives a rat's behind about them and so the work that is done is
largely ignored.;-)

B. D.