Subject: Re: [Leica] Albigensian - legates and delegates, nuncios and internuncios
From: Peter Dzwig <pdzwig@summaventures.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:34:04 +0000

Phong,

Phong wrote:

>Joseph,
>
>Re. legates and delegates, nuncios and internuncios
>
>You are almost correct, by which I mean your understanding
>almost agrees with mine :-)  Let me play Marc James Small
>for a moment and elaborate my arcane erudition: :-) :-)
>
>Briefly, in the hierarchy of Papal foreign diplomacy, a Nuncio is higher
>than an Internuncio; Nuncios are sent to more important countries,
>internuncios to lesser ones.  .........

Nuncio, from the Latin, is in effect a messenger - or as we would have
it these days an envoy, i.e. one of lesser rank who carries messages
between governments on particular matters. He probably only has
temporary diplomatic status and therefore as with a mediaeval messenger
has protected status for the period of his mission, he is in the
parlance of the earlier discussion a delegate, since he has delegated
aut.hority

>My guess is that the titles of Nuncios and Internuncios are more often
>applied to missions in Europe, whereas Apostolic Delegate and envoy
>extraordinary is used more in the New World.

I think that for New World read "protestant countries", i.e. those who
have never had, or who have historically severed, links with Rome.
Outside the Old world and the New World, there is the Even Older World
of the Far East where I dont know the position vis a vis
legate/delegate/nuncio. Anyone help?

>Leica connection ?  Wasn't a Leica presented to Pope John Paul II ?

How interesting ;-)

Peter Dzwig