Subject: RE: [Leica] XXX of the YYY? WAS (something else) (fwd)
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:26:25 -0700

> Well, I just heard today that the Bush administration is denying access
> to journalists the funerals and even the return on air bases of bodies
> from the war.

So, slightly on topic - this news was widely discussed by press
photographers. No classic Leica images of grieving families for us to worry
about:

Pentagon keeps dead out of sight
Bush team doesn't want people to see human cost of war
Even body bags are now sanitized as 'transfer tubes'

TIM HARPER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

(excerpt)

... Americans have never seen any of the other 359 bodies returning from
Iraq. Nor do they see the wounded cramming the Walter Reed Army Medical
Centre in Washington or soldiers who say they are being treated
inhumanely awaiting medical treatment at Fort Stewart, Ga.

In order to continue to sell an increasingly unpopular Iraqi invasion to
the American people, President George W. Bush's administration sweeps
the messy parts of war - the grieving families, the flag-draped coffins,
the soldiers who have lost limbs - into a far corner of the nation's
attic.

No television cameras are allowed at Dover (Charles C. Carson mortuary,
in Delaware).

Bush does not attend the funerals of soldiers who gave their lives in
his war on terrorism. ...

If stories of wounded soldiers are told, they are told by hometown
papers, but there is no national attention given to the recuperating
veterans here in the nation's capital.

More than 1,700 Americans have been wounded in Iraq since the March
invasion.

"You can call it news control or information control or flat-out
propaganda," says Christopher Simpson, a communications professor at
Washington's American University.

"Whatever you call it, this is the most extensive effort at spinning a
war that the department of defence has ever undertaken in this country."

FULL STORY:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/A
rticle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1067728207768&call_pageid=968332188854&col=96
8350060724

OR

http://tinyurl.com/td53

And here:

 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55816-2003Oct20.html

"Since the end of the Vietnam War, presidents have worried that their
military actions would lose support once the public glimpsed the remains of
U.S. soldiers arriving at air bases in flag-draped caskets.

To this problem, the Bush administration has found a simple solution: It has
ended the public dissemination of such images by banning news coverage and
photography of dead soldiers' homecomings on all military bases.

In March, on the eve of the Iraq war, a directive arrived from the Pentagon
at U.S. military bases. "There will be no arrival ceremonies for, or media
coverage of, deceased military personnel returning to or departing from
Ramstein [Germany] airbase or Dover [Del.] base, to include interim stops,"
the Defense Department said, referring to the major ports for the returning
remains... more at link above"ers/unsub.html