Subject: Re: [Leica] some new snaps, a propos
From: RUBEN BLĘDEL <ruben@rhodos.dk>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:40:56 +0100

We were stuck with union rules in the area of journalism and
photojournalism years ago in Europa but with the amount of freelancers
around anyone may work with photojournalism but not everybody can hold a
press card. Getting a press card does demand a documented steady income
from professional work with journalism.  As far as I know it is lawyers,
doctors etc that need state approval and that has nothing to do with
politics - its educational background and following professional
conduct.  In short in Europa we have no restrictions on claiming to be a
photographer - and as far as I know the worst the French has come up
with work restriction wise was that the did not permit non French skiing
instructors ! Please let me state that I am in no way anti American, I
have a lot of gratitude towards the American people but this discussion
is in a way silly - instead of trying to argue who has the most free
press we should as a community of artistic intellectual sensitive people
worry more about our fellow men / women in countries were there is no
freedom of press!