Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Off Topic - Was Speaking of Photography -Big scans
From: Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:23:09 -0800

Hello Phong,

I would LOVE to see those shots in person, maybe I can someday soon.

In the meantime, Mark was speaking of scanners capable of scanning
11x14.

I just got a new Microtek 9800XL with Transparency adapter at work day
before yesterday.  It has a flatbed size of 12x17, and can scan
transparencies up to 12x16.

That is amazing, but wait!  It also can do 35mm slides! right on the
flatbed!  Yes, I was wondering about it too, until today, I dug out a
slide I have not happily scanned on either my Nikon Coolscan III nor
on my Minolta Dimage Scan Elite.  I thought it was just one of those
slides that could not be scanned, probably because it was not shot
with Leica glass.

Look!  http://www.sonc.com/jelly.htm

I was using the Scanwizard software, but the machine was delivered
with a copy of Silverfast AI, so I think I'll load that and give it a
whirl.

By the way, the machine comes firewire, usb or scsi ready, and even
has a firewire card and cables with it.  Mac and PC.  The only glitch
in a 25 minute from delivery to first scan was I had to download a
current driver set from Microtek.  That took up five minutes.

Otherwise, I am thrilled with the performance of the machine.  It is
speedy and I guess I will get less time to read these days, because
big scans happen so fast.

Regards,

Sonny
http;//www.sonc.com