Subject: RE: [Leica] Speaking of Photography -- Sally Mann on Charlie Rose
From: "Kit McChesney" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:46:53 -0700

Marc James Small informed:

"I have known Sally Mann for some 35 years or so, as I used to work for her
mother, and her husband was several years ahead of me at the same college.
She is one hell of a darkroom technician, arguably the best I have yet
encountered.  I care neither for her photographic style nor her cultural
approaches, but she is a superb technician."

And Kit responds:

Marc--

She said the same herself, that she isn't the greatest photographer
(paraphrase of her words), but that she is a great printer. (I disagree that
she's not a great photographer, but her self-deprecating remark probably has
more to do with the high bar she has set for herself, the mark of a true
artist, and she certainly has the right to set ever-higher standards for her
work).

I find her work fascinating, bold, brave, intellectually and artistically
challenging. She is not afraid to try an idea, and follow it wherever she
leads. But I am an ultraliberal left-wing devotee of NPR, too! ;-)

Kit