Subject: Re: [Leica] Time to Replace that R4S . . .
From: "langhans" <langhans@compwrx.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:14:38 -0800

Ben.  I started with an R4 and then went looking for a body with built-in
Diopter.  I was researching R5's and R7's.  I had my mind made up on an R7 I
saw in Seattle and then I made the "mistake" of actually handling an R8 and
never looked back.  They are going used for around $850 or less now.  If you
truly don't want an R8 then never pick one up and look through the
viewfinder.  As Doug said, if you want to avoid the electronics issue, then
the R6.2 is the way for you.

Aram

> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:12:50 -0500
> From: BenMarks@aol.com
> Subject: [Leica] Time to Replace that R4S . . .
> Well, the ol' R4S has been diagnosed with a bad mirror case escapement --
supposedly the linkage between the R4s's meter and the chip which controls
the shutter speed on auto-exposure.  And wouldn'cha know the cost to repair
is greater than the cost to replace (check out the astoundingly low prices
on the R4s at KEH.com, for example).

> So this begs the question:  What to replace this camera with?  I am
looking for R-family recommendations (please no discussion of
digi-this-or-that). Any recommendations or regrets amoung those shooting
with R5, 6, 6.2, 7 or RE?  Any dogs in this group?  I have to say, I use my
R-series camera when I want the exposure-automation features and have LOVED
the results.  Lenses are 35-50-135.  Incidentally, I think that R8 and 9 are
too spendy for me, even used, given the amount of use this camera gets
compared to my Ms.

> I'm thinking that I won't replace with another R4-era camera unless
someone has a recommendation as to how to avoid electronics problems.  All
of my "sudden death" camera problems with Leicas (as opposed to
idiot-photographer dropping one for ex.) have been electronics problems.
Dead meter - M6 after 10 years (second user), dying meter on R4s after 8
years (second user) and "manual" - ISO setting malfunction on my new M7
(still figuring out when I can part with it for repairs as the DX-reading
function seems to work fine).