Subject: RE: [Leica] BD's Point and Free Speech
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:55:59 -0500

Yes, the media does at times serve as a straight 'transmitter' of
information and it shouldn't. HOWEVER - and this is something that
people tend to forget, if they ever stopped to think about it -
newspapers, and tv broadcasts - are "the first rough draft of history."
They are NOT 100% accurate - they are as accurate as the very human
beings who prepare them can make them in virtually no time. When is the
last time that anyone on this list who isn't a daily journalist has been
told a 2 in the afternoon that he or she has to gather facts about an
event that just occurred, or is told to digest a 500 page report and get
people to comment on it - and write 1000 to 1500 coherent, flowing,
accurate, informative words about the event or report by 6 p.m.? Try it
some time. And then stop to marvel at how much the 'media' gets right,
as opposed to what it gets wrong.

I've been dipping in and out of a new New York Times book that is a
compilation of all the Times JFK assassination coverage from the four
days around the assassination. Tom Wicker's lede piece from the first
day's paper is incredibly stiff and creaky. But then consider that it
runs approximately 4000! words, and was 'written' in his head as he
stood in a phone booth and dictated it to the desk - a 4000 word story
about the assassination of the President, an event that occurred at
about 1 p.m. Eastern time, and a story that includes the shooting, the
race to the hospital, events at the hospital, the swearing in of the new
President, the flight back to D.C., etc. etc. And all of this was
reported and written in a period of about five hours - by someone who
was in Dallas at the time and had to have been traumatized by the
events.

Yes, The Media screws up. Yes, The Media often falls down on the job.
But when all is said and done - thank God for the media. Imagine what
the Bush Admininstration would be doing if there were no media. I
believe it was Jefferson who wrote that he would rather have no
government than no newspapers.