Subject: [Leica] The Civil War and Virginia
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:43:15 -0500

At 09:09 PM 11/9/03 -0800, Ted Grant wrote:
>> BTW, I don't know if that other Grant made it through here, but his
>> predecessor, McClelland made a mess of things on his way to Richmond.<<<,
>
>Thanks Mike,
>Look forward to a hand shake and visit. :-)
>
>I believe one of  them became President? Am I correct?
>ted

Ted

To my fairly certain knowledge, Ulysses Simpson Grant never set foot in
Virginia save for his jaunt from Washington, DC, to Richmond and the left
hook over to Appomattox.  (The events after the Southron surrender are more
than a bit sad.  Grant and Lee each appointed commissioners to handle the
surrender, while Grant withdrew to Washington and Lee to Richmond.  Lee
appointed "Old Pete" Longstreet as his Commissioner, while Grant appointed
Joshua Chamberlain as his.  When Longstreet went over to the McLean house
to arrange the surrender terms, he walked by an office where Grant was
working.  Grant and Longstreet were long-time best friends and Longstreet
had been Grant's best man.  As Longstreet walked by the open door, he said,
"Hello, Sam", to which Grant replied, "Hi, Pete".  They would not meet
again for a couple of years, though Longstreet did well out  of the Grant
Administration (Grant was US President from 1869 until 1877.)  And the
Yankee General, Meade, crossed the line to seek out HIS long-time friend,
Robert Edward Lee.  Lee, whose own hair had turned grey during the Civil
War, looked at Meade and said, "George, your hair is grey!" to which Meade
replied, "Bob, it's all your fault", and the two men laughed.  Lee took
over the Presidency of Washington College in Lexington, Virginia, in the
fall of 1865, and died there in October, 1870.  I had the grand privilege
of studying at what is now Washington & Lee University between 1968 and 1972.)

The Civil War is rife around here.  I am a five hour drive from
Chickamauga, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Petersburg, Appomattox (which I
have never visited, though I drive by it frequently), Bull Run/Manassas,
Fredericksburg, and Antietam/Sharpsburg.  In fact, the only Civil War
battle sites not immediately available are Shiloh and Vicksburg, while
Atlanta is about eight hours away.

Roanoke, Virginia, was rather sheltered from the Civil War.  The folks
around here elected Republican delegates to the US Congress and Whig
delegates to the Confederate Congress and tried to keep from getting shot.
In the eyes of the people around here, this was the "Plantation War", and
was not a conflict that they had a lot of interest in fighting, loyal
Virginians though they were.  But, of course, after the War, this was all
overlaid by the "Bloody Flag" and it was forgotten for a century that
western Virginia was less than enthusiastic to support separation from the
Union.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!