Subject: RE: [Leica] FOOD
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:27:16 -0800 (PST)

I think many Americans confuse complexity for quality.
I once read a comic where the protagonist dreams he
gets God's business card. It looks like this:

  +------------------------------+
  |                              |
  |                              |
  |                              |
  |                              |
  |                              |
  |                              |
  |                              |
  |                              |
  +------------------------------+

Boulder, Colorado tries to be hip and sophisticated,
but sometimes I think it tries too hard: There's no
shortage of sourdough breads seasoned with cheeses,
rosemary, sun-dried tomatos, olives and what-not, but
just try and get a really good croissant. The local
Whole Foods usually offers freshly broiled salmon in
their hot food section, but the stuff they put on it
sometimes: mango, coconut, feta cheese, pineapple,
sesame seeds, teriyaki sauce, etc! I would've been
happy with just a pinch of salt or maybe a little
fresh lemon. Don't even get me started about the bagel
situation.

But the best lunch in town that I'm aware of costs
$3.50 and it consists of Vietnamese-style broiled
chicken topped with ground peanuts, crunchy spring
roll, plain rice noodles, fresh vegetables and a side
of fish sauce. (#5, Kim's To Go). Ambience, what
ambience? It's a roadside shack, and the only
seating's a pair of grimy picnic tables set next to a
major thoroughfare.

I think some of of the very best food that I've eaten
was in Singapore (cheap!) and Japan (not so cheap!).
There's an English language book about the sorts of
boxed lunches sold in train stations (Ekiben); my
mouth waters every time I flip through the pages. Only
problem about Japan is sometimes too much salt and
pickles for me. Strangely enough, the only thing I
recall eating in France was a cucumber and egg
sandwich  which is really tasty when the ingredients
are all good (they were).

Jeff

>Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:30:41 -0500
>From: Phong <phong@doan-ltd.com>
>Subject: RE: [Leica] FOOD
>
>The quality of restaurants in the US has improved
>incrediblyin the last 25 years or so, which I am very
>thankful.  That said, I think that many decent
>restaurants in the US are overpriced, with
pretentious >service catering to a yuppified
clientele.  They work >harder on the ambiance and
presentation than on the food >quality