Subject: RE: [Leica] PAW - Leica Night at Jim Shulman's
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:08:51 -0500

Nice, Phong

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us] On Behalf Of Phong
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 2:01 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: [Leica] PAW - Leica Night at Jim Shulman's

Last Saturday, Jim hosted a Leica party at his
place in Bryn Mawr, in the Philadelphia suburbs.
I took the opportunity to drive down from Boston
to attend Jim's party and then visit my mother
and sister in nearby Reading.

Jim was the perfect host; we had good food, good wine,
good company, and great fun comparing photographic notes
and Leica lore.    Here are some photos from the party:

Colin of www.availabledark.com came down from New York City. Seen here
admiring Jim's Kodak Retina 35mm folder camera:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8279-colin-p.htm
[By coincidence, I have taken recent interest in older folders. I have
had a more recent Fuji 645 folder for quite a while, but am looking for
folders in 6x9.]

Owen, a sweet, quiet, non-LUG local Leica buff who is very knowledgeable
in Leica photography and quality printing:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8285-owen.htm

Tony Green who brought some very nice prints in B&W, here trying out
Jim's 90mm Elmar-C, I believe:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8291-tonygreen.htm

Sal Dimarco, who does not need any introduction.  I have heard much of
Sal, but this was the first time I met Sal in person.  I very much
enjoyed Sal's stories throughtout the evening.  Some of the stories are
literally "war" stories.
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8297-saldimarco.htm

When I inroduced myself to Charles Stirk, he said "I bought a lens from
you".  Good thing it was a performer of a lens (a very clean 90mm
Tele-Elmarit f/2.8, which I still ocasionally miss), otherwise the party
might not have been as much fun for me :-).  Here's Charles, who drove
up from Wilmington, Delaware:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8298-chuckstirk-p.h
tm

The inimitable Kyle Cassidy, none too pleased at being snapped :-) :
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8300-kyle.htm

Despite the appearance, Sal is not grabbing my scotch:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8302-saldimarco.htm
He was actually in the midst of one of those war stories.

At one point, Kyle suddenly stood up and acted as though he was at a
press conference:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8303-kylecassidy.ht

Kyle has used digital for so long, he doesn't know what to do with a
Leica. Colin ignored him and looked on:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8305-kyleandcolin-p
.htm

Robert Clark, who drove over from Lancaster, with Colin in the mirror:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8309-robertclark-p.
htm

Another shot of Robert Clark:
http://www.phongdoan.com/Photography/BrynMawrLug/crw_8313-robertclark-p.
htm

There are others that I didn't have a chance to take a photo,
particularly Jim :-(.  Anyway, many thanks to you Jim for a most
enjoyable evening.

Cheers,

- - Phong