Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 45: Spanish hams
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 08:13:33 -0800

A little of both. I've gotten to know some of the best chefs in areas I
live - having worked for newspapers which like to cover food topics.
Living in Southern California helps too. The food here is fabulous.
Even the small home-grown restaurants. People here love to eat.

And I suspect that your lack of interest in American cuisine is more a
bias than reality. I f you don't fine New Orleans extraordinary, you
went to the wrong restaurants or you just don't like that kind of food.
Neither is bad, just unfortunate. Of course my experience is that the
Americans I know who travel overseas are very savvy where the good food
is.

Europeans often have an attitude about Americans being Neanderthals who
live in a too-young culture. And they hate that our wines are as good
and in some cases better than what you can find in Europe. Of course I
can hear howls of derision on that point, but the damage was done years
ago. This paternalistic attitude is almost overwhelming sometimes when
I meet people from overseas. Not always. But ugly Americans aren't the
only snobs crossing oceans.

On Nov 9, 2003, at 7:27 AM, Félix López de Maturana wrote:

> Please Eric help me. I do not get it. Does it mean that Americans do
> understand it or that Europeans are wrong about the American fine food
> understanding?

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.
- - Will Rogers