Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Posts
From: "Jack Herron" <jackherron@cox.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:17:27 -0700

Gary,
    The internet is a chaotic system of nexi. Ideally, your message travels
through the closest path, but this is not guaranteed.  A while ago, my
lawyer here in Tucson and I exchanged correspondence.  My messages to her
were recieved immediately, but hers to me took 6 hours to travel roughly 7
miles.
    On the net, messages are sent to the first nexus.  The software attempts
to send it to the next closest nexus to the destination, but failing that,
will send it on to the next available link in ANY direction.  The process
repeats itself at that point and the next.  Statistically it is possible,
because of busy servers, that her messages went from Tucson to LA, to
Seattle, to NY, to London, to Delhi, to Cairo, to Papeete, to Kansas City,
to San Diego, and back to me.  This is both a weakness and a strenght.  The
original ARPANET from which our current system is derived was designed
exactly this way purposely.  A message sent from Tucson's DMAFB to Wright
Patterson AFB could not be blocked by an atomic detonation inbetween, as the
message would simply worm its way around the blastsite.
    Most of the time, the net functions almost instantaneously, and we
become accustomed to this, and expect it.  But occasionally heavy usage, or
just blind luck, will send our messages worming around the world, and then
it takes a lot longer.  Be consoled by the fact that your messages are
atomic bomb-proof!
    About my message, looking at it now it seems unnecessarily harsh.  I
apologize for that, no attack or offense was intended.
Cheers,
Jack

Jack C. Herron
8118 E. 20th St.