Subject: Re: [Leica] M2-Film Counter Problem
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:33:31 -0700

The washer between the lever and the counter dial is extremely
difficult to see when the camera is whole. Do not be shocked if you
find it there when the lever comes off. High mileage M2s can wear the
counter mechanism such that is loose and unreliable. I have seen such
cameras before. My M2 requires a firm fingernail to set the counter
dial and I suspect that yours needs more than just a washer. My M2
repair manual says you need a new saddle spring if the counter is loose
and turns too freely. You can download the same manual here:

http://211.233.82.215/~leicaclubnet/leicaclub2001/guide/guideindex.htm

Access to all this is gained by removing the large collar around the
shutter release with an appropriate size collet wrench. It would be
easy to make one out of a bit of brass plate or you can be lazy like me
and order it from:

http://micro-tools.com/

If you do just need a saddle spring or a missing washer, then Leica
would probably sell them to you. Try your local distributor directly

http://nemeng.com/leica/005e.shtml

  If it turns out to be more, as I fear it might, then I would send it
to one of the usual suspects:

http://nemeng.com/leica/007e.shtml

Gerry at Kindermann Canada (now the official repair depot for Canada
thank goodness) is my tech of choice and recommendation.

I do not feel that using the camera as it is now will cause any more
damage. Whatever is worn is worn already.*

John Collier

*Caution: educated guess of an uneducated person