Subject: RE: [Leica] some new snaps, a propos
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 06:45:26 -0500

> I guess it's up to our trust in your credibility that
> the photos you show the world portray what you claim
> they do.

This ix the crux of the matter to me.  Two people on this list
have taught me a lot of about the integrity of the image,
especially with respect to photo journalism/documentary:
you and B.D.  I came from the other end where artistic
and emotional values are what matters, and you have opened
my eyes so to speak and made me understand the other end.
For that, I have thankful and have much respect for you.

That said, I think that belaboring the professional standards
with respect to image manipulation is missing the point.
The public distrust of the media has little to do with that.
It has a lot of to do with editorial decisions with respect to
what stories to run, what programs to show, being owned by
commercial concerns, giving in tho the government, sanitizing
the war, etc., etc., etc.  Only photographers think that image
manipulation is such a big deal in the public loss of trust in
the media.

- - Phong