Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:55:36 -0700

I am at a bit of a loss here Tina. Rob basically describes polite
interaction with his subjects and you imply he is dishonest. The fellow
says he washes his son in the puddle and Rob politely asks permission
to photograph it happening. Can you please explain what is dishonest
about this?

Now to your own work where I have a few questions that I feel should be
answered as you have implied that it is morally purer than Rob's. How
is the family or families you photograph chosen? Do you look for
photogenic subjects (the old Afghan girl syndrome)? Are they aware of
the implications of your photography; in that, your photography
generates funds for their welfare? Is cooperation rewarded in any way
however small? Is noncooperation punished in any way however small
(i.e. not getting the rewards)? Is the religion of the subjects or
recipients significant in any way however small. These question may be
taken as crass but you do work for a religious group and the questions
should be answered within the context of this current debate.

Now I am not attacking your work or the funds your work raises. That is
all to be admired, greatly admired. I also admire all the work you have
shown here. If it wasn't good I would not be wasting my time with this.
However to imply that you, a white (anglo-saxon?) protestant, dressed
in clothes from Tilly and Banana Republic, bedecked with cameras,
operating in a culture mostly unfamiliar with such a phenomenon and
representing otherwise unobtainable aid, do not have an effect on the
surroundings is to beggar belief.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)