Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone, is it?
From: Sander van Hulsenbeek <alex@vanhulsenbeek.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:18:59 +0100

B.D. wrote:

>They certainly don't look set up, and some of them are truly outstanding
> images.

I think B.D. is right. They are not set up. What you see in many pictures
are people that are just a litle conscious of the vicinity of the
photographer. If I am right Robe uses the 24mm a lot ( I vaguelay recall
reccomending that lens to him) , which does not put him far, indeed puts him
close to many subjects.

One has to realize that in the circumstances where Rob made his - stunning
in many cases- pictures, a European, camera or not, is like a being of outer
space. Something you do not get get used to or feel comfortably by in a long
time, even if he smiles, has asked if he could take the pictures, fiddled
around a bit etc.

Different from many instances in the affluent parts of the Western world,
where, once people have consented to you making their picture, they far more
easily and quickly relax.They know what a camera is about, they know what a
photo can be like.

I just see wonderfull, courageous, proud, but a little selfconscious,
people, and one should applaud Rob for his ability to make these pictures.
Aren't they, from our perspective, views into another universe too?

Sander van Hulsenbeek
Amsterdam
Holland