Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:36:29 -0700

I am afraid I do not agree with you Tina. Every photograph reflects a
view point whether the photographer actively participates in its
production or not. It is VERY IMPORTANT that viewers realize this;
especially with news/journalism/documentary photography which seeks to
be taken at face value. Even the simple act of observing a scene has a
large effect on any potential outcomes*. Many photos record events that
simply would not have occurred if the photographer/camera had not been
there. Rob is talking about actions and manipulations that many
photographers and their subjects are unconscious of performing. Being
conscious of them makes you a more honest photographer in my books.

John Collier

*  A very simplistic analogy is the class clown who is rather mild
mannered when there is no audience about.

Replies: Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)