Subject: RE: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:24:17 -0800

On 2003-11-04 bdcolen@earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) thoughtfully wrote:

>Further, this whole decisive moment thing makes little sense. Go look at
>HCB's contact sheets. This was a guy really working scenes - shooting
>and shooting and shooting, and out of those dozens and dozens of shots
>came the one shot that captured the "decisive moment -" to the point
>that I would argue that the decisive moment is that instant when the
>light bulb goes on and you realize that the scene that lays before you
>contains the possibility of an important/worthwhile image.

I really like this statement. It feels right to me because it encompasses what I
understand as the "art" of street shooting, but also portraiture and Ansel's
previsualization.

Geesh - this is at least twice in a single year that I have applauded B. D.

I'll be voting Green Party next. Wait...the gov's election...oh well...

AB

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)