Subject: Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 20:05:07 -0800

><Snip>
>
> With some experimentation, you can probably derive the exact color
> mixer settings to mimic tri-x and a tiffen yellow filter, or whatever
> you prefer.
>
> However, when you finally decide to "flatten" the image into a
> final grayscale for printing, you are throwing away information
> your original color shot contains. But, you have more control
> over how the data is converted.
>
> Mike
>
> --
May I suggest yellow green or your skin tones will get real pasty on you.
There are other advantages.
Yellow will darken the shadows next to a tree or rock too much because
it take the cyan out which is in that shadow.
Add cyan to the yellow filter to make yellow-green and you keep those tones.
Cyan lightens cyan. Yellow lightens yellow. Both darken their opposites.
The green in there will lighten foliage which they tend to need to have done.
Yellow green I think restores the film to the true panchromatic ness it
is advertized supposed to have but never does. And the difference is
significant. Where is Ralp Nader when you really want him?  I wonder why
they have so much trouble making a truly panchromatic flim?

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (RE: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution)