Subject: Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution
From: Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:17:05 -0600

B. D. Colen said the following on 11/3/2003 1:22 PM:

> Most digicams with a bw mode achieve it by simply doing a 'forced dump'
> of the color information...from rgb to gray scale. That's what Photoshop
> does if you go to Image - Mode - and convert...it cuts the file size by
> about 2/3 throwing out the color info...And the resulting image does not
> look like "real" black and white....But it is possible to use the
> channel mixer in Photoshop to make an RGB file look like bw..there are
> some commercially available actions that do this extremely...
>
> I hope that explanation is clearer.....

I am still not getting it. My Canon G3 also produces an RGB image if I
use the B/W when I load it into Photoshop. If I load a B/W image from
the Canon and switch it to Greyscale using Image>Mode, it does not
change its appearance, but the histogram changes and the document size
get reduced to a third of what it was, as you said. What I do not
understand is if I am losing information. In RGB mode, R=G=B for all
points - that is why it is gray. In greyscale mode, is it still 8
bits/pixel, or 24? I assume 8, because it does get smaller. What
information is being lost?

I do usually use the channel mixer to go to B/W, because I can play with
the balance after the fact -- one can change filters after the exposure,
a luxury we did not have with film. I have never used the commercial
actions, because I do not want to superimpose artificial film grain over
  natural digital noise :-)

I am not sure what you mean By a "forced dump". I assumed that convert
to greyscale used the L of Lab, or the L of HSL.

So, I did a search, and found
http://www.neuro.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~aly/polygon/info/color-space-faq.html
(which I have read, but do not claim to understand completely)
has some interesting recommendations about how to convert to gray scale:
"You can convert your picture instantaneously in gray scale pictures see
even in a black and white pictures as a magician. To do so, you just
need to convert your RGB values into the Y component. Actually, Y is
linked to the luminosity (Y is an achromatic component) and X and Z are
linked to the colorfulness (X and Z are two chromatic components). Old
softwares used Rec 601-1 and produced:
     Gray scale=Y=(299*Red+587*Green+114*Blue)/1000
     With Rec 709, we have:
     Gray scale=Y=(213*Red+715*Green+72*Blue)/1000
Some others do as if: Gray scale=Green (They don't consider the red and
blue components at all)
     Or Gray scale=(Red+Green+Blue)/3
But now all people *should* use the most accurate, it means ITU standard:
     Gray scale=Y=(222*Red+707*Green+71*Blue)/1000
     (That's very close to Rec 709!)
I made some personal tests and have sorted them in regard with the
global resulting luminosity of the picture (from my eye point of view!).
The following summary gives what I found ordered increasingly:
     +-----------------------------+----------------+
     |Scheme                       |Luminosity level|
     +-----------------------------+----------------+
     |Gray=Green                   |        1       |
     |Gray=ITU (D65)               |        2       |
     |Gray=Rec 709 (D65)           |        3       |
     |Gray=Rec 601-1 (C illuminant)|        4       |
     |Gray=(Red+Green+Blue)/3      |        5       |
So softwares with Gray=Rec 709 (D65) produce a more dark picture than
with Gray=Green. Even if you theorically lose many details with
Gray=Green scheme, in fact, and with the 64-gray levels of a VGA card of
a PC it is hard to distinguish the losts."

Yes -- I do not know if B/W is spelled grey or gray -- that's what
happens when you are an immigrant.
- --
Clive
http://clive.moss.net