Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Wayyyyyyyy OT (black-eyed peas)
From: Sonny Carter <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 10:08:58 -0800

Daniel,

If the peas are dried, soak them overnight before you cook them.
chop up a bigole yellow onion, and put it, the salt pork and some salt
and pepper in a pot with enough water to cover. Get them to boiling,
then turn the fire back to a simmer.  I leave the lid off so I can
watch it and get the house smelling right.  For a pound (half kilo)
you'll need about a teaspoon of salt.  Everyone has their own tilt to
black-eyed peas, but my trick is a little cumin.  I never have put bay
leaves, but they sure can't hurt any.

You absolutely MUST have cornbread to go with this.

1 cup of cornmeal
a smidgen of oil
a dash of salt
a teaspoon of sugar
1 egg,
a teaspoon of baking powder
buttermilk, if you got it, enough to make the stuff barely pourable,
(regular milk works)   (around a third to a half cup)

pour into a cast iron greased skillet and cook in the oven at 400F
(About 200C)

Takes about 15 minutes to brown.

Enjoy!

  Sonny