Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Funny rings on digital image
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:02:32 -0800

At 12:37 PM -0800 10/31/03, Aram Langhans wrote:
>A friend of mine with a Canon D10 took some shots of the northern lights
>yesterday.  He had the camera set to ISO 400 when this was done.  There
>are some funny concentric rings in the image.  He thought they might be
>because of a UV filter, but I told him I didn't thing so. He mentioned
>that he asked on dpreview.com and someone with the same camera had the
>same problem.

Maybe this is an interference pattern near the sensor plane, from an
anti-aliasing filter and another flat layer. One surface would have
to be slightly dished, which might be due to the cold temperature.
Most sensors have a number of layers directly in front of them.

I would think it would be at that location as other points in the
image path in the camera would be well out of focus, and this image
was probably taken wide open. I don't think the (pointless) filter
could be at fault.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design