Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Remembering Ruddy
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:15:49 -0800

Jeff Moore offered:

 http://www.leica-gallery.net/ruddy-roye/folder-4236.html

> Oh...  now that I see his photos, I think I may have met him a few
> times in various NYC camera stores and discussed the work he was
> doing.  If it's the same guy, he seemed a personable and pretty
> laid-back chap in person, which clearly didn't translate to email --
> it'd be yet another example of how cues get lost in translation from
> verbal to email communication.<<<<

Putting Ruddy aside for the moment as he's only one from the past regarding
discussing "some subjects."

I've said many times there are subjects that absolutely require a cold beer
with the company sitting around a table quietly discussing whatever the
topic maybe.

Simply because, not everyone in the world, let alone on the LUG, are the
most eloquent wordsmiths and writers, therefore on the screen it doesn't
come out the way it was meant!

And we all know what happens then! ......... "All Hell Breaks Loose!"

Verbal abuse, name calling and destruction of acquaintances. When if we were
discussing the topic over a cold one and some munchies on the table the
camaraderie is maintained. And even if we don't agree, we at least don't
want to fling the other party out the window from the 35 floor of the
building.

Or as I must confess, wanted to hold Anthony under the Seine in Paris to see
how long it would take him to stop wiggling! I know, not a very nice thought
and I dismissed quicker than it came to mind. But ....................!

However I hate to see those outbursts, certainly me who's contributed on
more than one occasion, :-( simply because when you re-read what the person
said and worse, what you've written yourself. You realize what a stupid son
of gun you were to even open your mouth.

And as Brian has offered on many occasions....."do not respond" It only
fuels the fire!

I also realize when someone like Ruddy roars on the scene like a California
wildfire it's pretty damn hard to not return word fire while aiming for the
jugular using words.

Anyway I have promised myself not to get into any of these word frays in the
future! Will I keep it?  We'll see.
ted

Message from Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org> ([Leica] Re: Remembering Ruddy)