Subject: Re: [Leica] Annie Leibovitz
From: Roy Gumpel <rgumpel@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:27:09 -0500

Leibowitz is no great artist. She's very good at doing those kinds of
photos. And she seems to have had the single minded drive to get to the
position that she is in..wealthy... so called, hip...famous in the
world of commercial art. Commercial art. When we look at her photos,
what we mainly see is technique. Who cares, after you see a couple of
that sort of thing. A master's technique disappears. The photos in SF
are poster size because that's what they're done for...to be posters.
Period. Just stop worrying about her and whether her work is good
photography or not. Any one of us (more or less) could do that stuff if
we were given a hasselblad and a quick lesson in fill flash. I, for
one, would not have wanted to spend 30 years doing that sort of thing.
Hopefully she is enjoying her work. It's too bad that the public thinks
she is some great artist...but hey... the majority of the public ain't
got too much smarts anyway. Look who's president  of this country. By
the way, I also usually equate Ansel Adams photos with posters too. I
better stop here.
roy gumpel