Subject: Re: [Leica] New York Institute of Photography
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:27:32 -0700

In 1968, while contemplating which school to attend, I visited all of the
New York photo schools. I was not impressed with any.
On the walls of NYIP hanged "photos" of weird subjects and darkroom tricks
such as stepping on developer-impregnated paper to derive a footprint. I did
not see a single example of photography that I would be proud to display.

I met the president and when he noticed my hesitation he said to me: "are
you familiar with Brooks Institute in Santa Barbara?"
On the other hand a young friend of mine attended NYIP in the 90s and
graduated as a competent fine-art photographer.
I am sure that NYIP is adequate to learn the basics of photography; but it
is a private academy. It is very expensive to attend and live in NY just to
learn basic photo techniques .

There are hundreds of wonderful photography departments managed by colleges
and universities around the country where one can learn the techniques
needed to attain proficiency and more.
In the end, it depends on the expectations. Does the student want to land a
job in photography? In that case very few schools open doors: RIT, Pasadena
Art Center, Brooks Institute.

Joe Codispoti

Message from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] New York Institute of Photography)