Subject: RE: [Leica] Fw: A priceless comment
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:49:31 -0400

Definitely....

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us] On Behalf Of Ted Grant
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 3:47 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

B. D. Colen said:
Subject: RE: A priceless comment

> these are important issues, and
> issues that are troubling to many members of this group. I would point

> out though that I find amusing your description of digital photography

> as seeming "not a little bit like magic" - given that one so often
> hears the traditional darkroom process described in precisely those
> same words.<<<<<

Hi B.D.,
I can remember my comment as the first print began to appear in the tray
53 year a ago, "WOW! that's magic!" ;-)  And I can't remember how many
times I've used some kind of wording about "pure magic" when teaching or
discussing wet darkroom subjects. It's still today a kind of  watching
the "magic" of the image appearing on the paper during a trip back in
time to the wet darkroom after spending several weeks of Epson 2200
printing.

It's a different feeling, not so emotional when seeing a print roll off
the 2200 Epson printer which always seems kind of mechanical.  It's not
that I don't have a sense of magic with it, but more of being in "awe of
what I see this machine produce" with no more than a click of the mouse.

Of course that precludes the previous "lightroom" manipulations of
burning, dodging, cropping etc.

However, as one poster said about his grandchildren "they show no fear
of computers" as do my two grandsons here inVictoria, nor with any of
the other 8 grand kids when they visit. They just jump in the seat,
"switch on" fire it up and fly right off with it.

And that includes Photoshop and printer operation.  And I'm not even
going to mention what they do when you put a digital camera in their
hands. ;-)

I'm always assured of a " how to operate anything digital when they
arrive. " :-)

The nice part is they're so dang nice about the way they teach grandpa,
not like a nerd, but an ancient grandfather who needs assistance. They
do get a tad annoyed with a kind of "big sigh" when my neurons don't
grasp what they're showing me after 3 or 4 attempts. :-)

Great way to have the grand kids around.
ted