Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: A priceless comment
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:47:08 -0700

B. D. Colen said:
Subject: RE: A priceless comment

> these are important issues, and
> issues that are troubling to many members of this group. I would point
> out though that I find amusing your description of digital photography
> as seeming "not a little bit like magic" - given that one so often hears
> the traditional darkroom process described in precisely those same
> words.<<<<<

Hi B.D.,
I can remember my comment as the first print began to appear in the tray 53
year a ago, "WOW! that's magic!" ;-)  And I can't remember how many times
I've used some kind of wording about "pure magic" when teaching or
discussing wet darkroom subjects. It's still today a kind of  watching the
"magic" of the image appearing on the paper during a trip back in time to
the wet darkroom after spending several weeks of Epson 2200 printing.

It's a different feeling, not so emotional when seeing a print roll off the
2200 Epson printer which always seems kind of mechanical.  It's not that I
don't have a sense of magic with it, but more of being in "awe of what I see
this machine produce" with no more than a click of the mouse.

Of course that precludes the previous "lightroom" manipulations of burning,
dodging, cropping etc.

However, as one poster said about his grandchildren "they show no fear of
computers" as do my two grandsons here inVictoria, nor with any of the other
8 grand kids when they visit. They just jump in the seat, "switch on" fire
it up and fly right off with it.

And that includes Photoshop and printer operation.  And I'm not even going
to mention what they do when you put a digital camera in their hands. ;-)

I'm always assured of a " how to operate anything digital when they arrive.
" :-)

The nice part is they're so dang nice about the way they teach grandpa, not
like a nerd, but an ancient grandfather who needs assistance. They do get a
tad annoyed with a kind of "big sigh" when my neurons don't grasp what
they're showing me after 3 or 4 attempts. :-)

Great way to have the grand kids around.
ted