Subject: Re: [Leica] Pika
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:40:22 -0700

Mike Quinn wrote:

> As a flood of others will no doubt attest, "pica" was the spacing of the
> type on those fine old mechanical objects (not the typeface). "Pica" = 10
> characters per inch. The other one was "Elite", which I believe was 12
> characters per inch. Each typewriter had it's own type face (or multiple
> fonts), but most followed one or the other of those spacing rules.
>
> Mike Quinn

pi0ka (pT2kõ) n.
Any of several small, tailless, furry mammals of the genus Ochotona of
the mountains of North America and Eurasia, resembling guinea pigs but
belonging to the order of lagomorphs that includes the hares and
rabbits. Also called coney1, rock rabbit. [Tungus piika, perhaps from
Russian pikat', to squeak.]

?
Fanmail from some flounders?

Mark Rabiner