Subject: [Leica] Two ink-jet questions
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:12:39 -0700

I have two issues related to ink-jet printing of black and white images.

I have two Epson printers: a 1280 set up for Piezography and a 2200 both driven
by a Mac. The 1280 under Photoshop 6 in Classic and the 2200 by Photoshop 7 in
OS X 10.2.8

1280 question:

I had the original, flawed, inks with the continuous inking system and have
since flushed and replaced the inks. Strangely I was giving duplicates of the
cyan and magenta position inks to put in the light cyan and light magenta
positions. So instead of 5 levels of gray, plus black, there are three. But
there was no change in the driver.

I've sent mail to (laughing because otherwise it hurts so much) the alleged
support desk and received absolutely no response on this.

So, if you're using the 1280 with the quadtone inks - is there an added file
that tells the software to use them? I've been printing comparision prints and
things SEEM okay - although I have a clogged print jet that I just can't seem to
reliably clear. Another question for (screaming) the alleged technical support
for this product.

2200 question:

I'm really SICK of the magenta cast from the printer. I know that there was a
utility, not offered in the US, that would let you play with the tonality to
make a real black and white image.

Where do I find that? It isn't up on the Epson site that I can find.

I love piezography when it works, but the lack of support by the vendor is
infuriating beyond belief. Hell, I even have trouble talking to their sales
staff on the phone. Maybe there is no one there.

And I love the 2200. Epson clearly has the ability to do this right with their
own ink and drivers.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] Two ink-jet questions)