Subject: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film
From: "Saganich, Christopher/Medical Physics" <saganicc@MSKCC.ORG>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:10:01 -0400

Hello,

Just returned from France/Belgium/Netherlands and thought I'd share my airport/film experience.  I don't like having any electronic equipment or film X-rayed, I work with X-Ray producing equipment and the thought of high speed electrons bombarding my sensitive gear bothers me.  Modern digital circuits will be damaged from repeated exposure, or are degraded slightly (weakened if you will) from each exposure.

On my flight out at Newark International the X-Ray folks refused to hand search my camera and film.  They repeated over and over that nothing will happen to my equipment and only film greater then ASA 800 would be effected.  Being a typical New Yorker I argued and they finally hand checked my gear.  They wipe sampled it for explosive residue requiring specialized equipment, which took only a few minutes.

Before boarding the Air India flight we were subject to another X-Ray check point.  Again I requested a hand inspection for my gear and they did without any fuss.  Thank you Air India.

On the way back to the States from Paris was another issue.  When confronted with the X-Ray machine I asked for a hand inspection for my gear.  They refused so I made a fuss through an interpreter.  They said film greater then ASA 800 would be affected.  I said most of my rolls were greater then 800, they replied that only film 1600 and greater would be effected.  I then asked if I has a choice in this matter and they said no.  So I ran everything through.

What I would do differently (for bulk loaders only):
1) Keep plastic canisters in my pockets since they won't register on the metal detector.

2)  Buy a bunch of Dx coded ASA 3200 bulk loading cans instead of generic or worse, reused cans from the 1 hour photo store.  The inspectors will look at your film and see it says ASA 3200, if your cans do not indicate the ASA in some official looking way, your out of luck.

As far as equipment is concerned no one will believe you that the X-Rays will degrade electronics.

I also noticed at customs in the US that Non-Citizens had all their luggage X-Rayed upon arrival.  All in all my gear was X-Rayed once out of a possible 3 times.  Somewhat of a victory.

PS don't put any film or electronic equipment in your checked luggage.  All US airports have modified CAT scan units which will fog all film and damage digital displays.

Chris Saganich
http://www.saganich.com

     communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If
     computer.

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film)
Reply from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re:[leica] Recent Airport Experience with Bulk film)