Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak Focus
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:37:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/30/03 9:00:59 AM, tim@KairosPhoto.com writes:

<< There are going to be many more along this line - cheaper and better. They
will just take a disk into the store when they go shopping and pick up the
prints later on. And they can pop the disk in the DVD player and play them
on the TV for granny when she comes to visit so she doesn't have to fiddle
with those little prints and her reading glasses. For a very broad base of
users, digital ain't no 8 track, it's the real thing and here to stay.
Consumer film isn't going to make an amazing comeback in any significant
way. >>

I think it's too early to tell whether digital is an infatuation or a
marriage with the public. It certainly was embraced by the commercial professional
for very good reasons: savings of time and money. Please realize that for every
digital sold, there is a P&S already bought and available should the digital
fail. The digital pedigree involves a very complex technology even in the
simplest of electronic cameras. We don't know whether that Achilles heel will
disenchant the general consumer. And we haven't even touched on a comparison in
quality between film and digital, or whether the negative is significant to the
public or to even certain professional groups. The jury is still out. During
the holidays a lot of digitals will be bought. I don't know, after the initial
exuberance, the digitals might find their way into the Polaroid niche.

I just took a look at my just developed T-max 400 Leica negs. The images just
leap at me in their sharpness and subtle contrast. Maybe that's the bottom
line for some of us.

br