Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak Focus now management hubris -- drifting back on topic re M6TTL rangefinder upgrade
From: Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:17:38 -0500

Mike,
No problem -- I was about to point out the Gates did not invent Basic -- he
merely coded versions of it for little computers. Squeezing compilers that
work into 4K bytes is not easy. Nowadays, the credits and licence can be
larger than that! This puts him in an exclusive (I think) class of 2 people
- -- heads of major companies who have personally written code that had an
impact on the industry.

I agree about the company -- being able to write code, and being able to
architect operating systems and manage large numbers of people to develop
them are unrelated skills.

SUN and Apple have both successfully put competitors that attempted to horn
in on their markets out of business -- both using questionable tactics. It
is only the success of Microsoft that stopped them from being accused as
monopolists.

To get back on topic, for anyone who has read this far -- Leica Northvale
has told me that they do expect to get parts to upgrade the M6 TTL from
Germany -- but not until mid-late November. Get on the waiting list.

At 06:43 PM 9/28/2003, Mike Quinn wrote:
>Clive,
>
>My reply was an inexcusable cheap shot. Sorry.
>Most of what you point out makes sense.
>You were right to call me out on it.
>
>Gates definitely made significant contributions during the formative years
>of the computer industry. But I'll stick to my belief that the success of
>his company is due much more to monopolistic and exclusionary tactics than
>to programming excellence.
>
>Enjoyed your "velvet case" analogy. Hope MS wasn't listening...
>
>Mike Quinn

- --
Clive
http://clive.moss.net