Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodak Focus now management hubris
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:41:58 EDT

In a message dated 9/28/03 3:45:30 PM, mlquinn.mail@earthlink.net writes:

<< Gates definitely made significant contributions during the formative years
of the computer industry. But I'll stick to my belief that the success of
his company is due much more to monopolistic and exclusionary tactics than
to programming excellence. >>

Gates contribution to the computer industry was standardization, which made
using a computer more uniform.
DOS and, later, Windows made it possible for most people to switch jobs and
still have usable skills. It was what the Qwerty keyboard did for office
workers at the turn of century and even how. However we dislike Gates, he
established the protocols most of the industry still uses. Software and hardware outfits
could supply a uniform market and earn the margin to stay in business which
MS's monopoly made possible.

br

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Kodak Focus now management hubris)